Thursday, February 6, 2014

Water Story

I thought I would share my water story! Growing up, I lived nearby a creek that my family would frequently visit. It ended up being an important part of my childhood, and I even wrote my Stanford application essay on it:
A circle spreads across the water, a sign that a fish just caught a fly. Minnows chase each other and a sun perch lazily swims by. The wind rustles through the leaves and the chatter of squirrels fills the air. Bees busily pollinate flowers as a garden snake slithers across my path. From childhood, Big Bear Creek has been an important part of my life.

As I walk down to the creek from my house, I notice the wild Mustang grapes, and I remember the time that we collected them and made jelly. The cool water is inviting, despite its murky appearance; I give in to the temptation, cast off my shoes, and walk in. The mud squishes in between my toes and I smile as I pass the rope swing that my brother and I frequently used. I walk past the little cove on the bank, a prime location for bass fishing. My father always uses expensive gear, but my brother and I have proven that a wiggly worm and a simple rod work best. I still remember the day that I was brave enough to unhook a fish by myself.

                I step on a shell, and pick it up to examine it. I remember how my brother and I loved to collect things from the creek and take them to the Nature Exchange at the zoo, where we would receive points for researching our specimens. These frequent trips to the zoo intrigued me; I decided at a young age that I wanted to become a research scientist.

                As I sit down by the creek and start digging my hand into the moist earth, searching for onions that we can use in soups, I let out a peaceful sigh as I wonder at the beauty of the creek, sunlight dappling its surface. As I think about what matters to me, I realize that this is it. Big Bear Creek represents my love of nature, family, curiosity and the joy of living—these

are the things that really matter to me. 

-Catie

No comments:

Post a Comment