Thursday, February 27, 2014

Dance in the Pantanal!

Hey all!

I thought I'd write a quick blog post about dance in the Pantanal! Although it's not necessarily the most salient feature of culture in the Pantanal, I think it is awesome to consider the dance forms and cultural attributes of dance. As many of you know, I started dancing since I came to Stanford and joined Dil Se, and I think that dance is really a beautiful form of expression and says a lot about the place that it originated.

It is so fascinating to me how dance forms vary from one region to another and really can display a range of emotions and tell the story of the people.

In the state of Mato Grosso, there are are two types of dance that prevail: the cururu and siriri. As for their origins, they may have served ritualistic functions or for religious purposes. I just love their bright outfits! 

Every year in the month of August, there is actually a festival in Cuiabá that people prepare all year to perform at, which would be really awesome for us to see! One of the articles I read described this festival as "the biggest part of popular culture in the state of Mato Grosso"

Some cool articles & videos, if you're interested!

- Nicole

2 comments:

  1. As a follow-up to this article, I wonder about the origins of the cururu and siriri and what specific purposes they have. Are they only performed at certain times of the year or for certain occasions?
    -Gwynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I've never had any formal training, dancing is one of my favorite things to do and I really hope we get the opportunity to do some traditional Brazilian dances when we are in the Pantanal.

    ReplyDelete