Thursday, February 20, 2014

Memories

I visited Pantanal around 13 years and have vivid memories of travelling to such a special place. We went on a safari tour where we saw so many different types of animals-- and I remember my favorite being the crocodiles we saw bathing by the water. The tour guides were so fearless and approached them with no inhibitions. Then we took a horse riding tour in the swampland with the Brazilian cowboys....I remember almost making it to the end of the tour before my horse decided to leave the pack and gallop with the other wild horses. I for sure thought I was going to get separated from my family forever, in that moment. My horse was then brought back to the herd after the head cowboy had chased my steed down. I also remember there being a lot of insects everywhere, even then hotel, including cockroaches and mosquitoes. The food was mostly rice and beans with meat, and each glass of water was so refreshing because it was extremely hot and humid. At night there were cultural shows and dancing that took place--and was very well received. It is clear that the Pantanal people have maintained their cultural and indigenous roots, which is very unique. Unfortunately for me, I don't have photo evidence of my trip, so I plan to be an active photographer this time around. I am really interested in capturing culture (through people), different bird species in specific, and water (in any form). 

Natalya Thakur

No comments:

Post a Comment