Thursday, February 13, 2014

Food-- We're not gonna starve, right?

Natalya Thakur

I sit to write this blog post in my humble abode of a blanket fort--with my stomach grumbling as I await dinner to be served. I feel like all my other blog posts have been more scientific/academic and serious. Today, I wanted to explore what our diet might be like when we visit the Pantanal this summer. So first off, since 80% of the economy is comprised of cattle ranching I can only imagine that beef would be a significant part of the peoples' diets, in addition to a lot of fish. The following are some yummy dishes that we can expect to see:

1) Caldo de Pirahna: spicy piranha soup-- mixed with chopped vegetables and spices! This isn't an uncommon dish because piranha's are so abundant in the Pantanal.

2) Picanha: Brazilian BBQ beef--barbequed with a layer of fat for flavor.

3) Moqueca de Pintado: spotted catfish dish-- deep fried in red palm oil with coconut cream and capsicum.

4) Chipa: cheese bread-- originally Paraguayan, similar to Brazilian pao de queijo (my personal favorite).

There is a spice called urucum that is used in many steak and fish dishes, and fun fact--it's also used for body paint and Brazilian tattoos.

3 comments:

  1. These dishes sound delicious! I hope that we get to try them when we're there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chipa and Picanha both sound so delicious, maybe because they are much more familiar to my stomach and I. I love spice and am definitely going to stock up on urucum while we are in the Pantnal.

    ReplyDelete