Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Stanford's Hummingbirds in Flight

So I only recently found out that there are a ton of hummingbirds on the Stanford campus, and though I've only managed to catch glimpses here and there, I came across this cool video made by Stanford engineering students that uses ultra high speed video cameras to record hummingbirds in flight. Since we know from Nicole that we have a chance of seeing some hummingbirds in the Pantanal, I thought it would be cool to see just how awesome they are close up. The students who made this were trying to learn from the wing beat patterns and understand how they generated flight, with potential applications in tiny drones. I am certainly going to keep my eye out for these majestic creatures in the future - perhaps we should have a hummingbird watching outing?

No comments:

Post a Comment