Thursday, February 20, 2014

A Picture is Worth How Many Words Again?

So again with the theme of things I am excited for about this trip, (there are about 10000000000 items on that list...) I am really looking forward to getting some awesome photos from this trip. While I am not that experienced with nature photography I have taken some decent picture and can find reliable sources on the internet to point all of us who want to get some good photos in the right direction. 

First off, my experience. Growing up in Washington State for me meant that wildlife was all over the place. Coyotes, great blue herons, owls, bald eagles, hawks and an insane amount of frogs have all been in my backyard at some point. Back in high school when I made more time for just walking around with my camera I really enjoyed capturing images that could show others how I viewed my environment. Overall I really enjoyed this method of expression because it was a chance to show everyone how I saw the world. So with that said here are a few of my photos I have taken over the years. 







And now for what I have garnered with my internet searching in terms of tips for all of us to bring back some awesome pictures to show out family and friends that we had the most epic overseas seminar ever.

Tip 1: If you can't use a tripod hold steady!
Dont just single handed grab your camera and hold it by your face and slam the shutter down. Instead, hold the camera with two hands, bring your elbows into the sides of your chest, then gently squeeze the shutter. I have also found that breathing out gently and slowly while pressing the shutter helps at times as well. 

Tip 2: Use the rule of thirds.
This is not an absolute rule but just a way to spice up composition and move the subject out of the center. This helps people look at the whole photo and not just one part of the photo. In basic terms try to put your horizon at the top or bottom third lines

Tip 3: Take additional considerations when photographing at night.
The best time to take pictures at night is when the sun sets or the moon rises. We don't really have control over this aspect but maybe we will get lucky. Also try using any night modes available on cameras. Night modes usually mean longer exposure time which also means a picture will be blurry if you dont hold it still. This can be remedied by using a tripod or resting the camera on a steady surface. 

So those are all the tips I have for you. Also just practicing with your camera is a good idea, know what settings work best for you. Now lets go and get some great photos!

-Martell


Sources: 

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are lovely! I wonder, other than the rule of thirds, what geometrical guidelines are there for composition? Are certain shapes or blockings of color better than others?

    -Gwynn Lyons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are awesome and your photography tips are on point. One more tip to add to your list, like Dr. Bob always says, make sure the eye is in focus.

    ReplyDelete