Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Wishful Thinking

My summer plans changed this past weekend, so now I’m able to travel around South America after our three weeks in the Pantanal! With a two-week trip in the works, I’m putting together a wish list of all the places I want to go and keeping in mind travel tips and visa requirements along the way. I thought I’d share with the class some of the places I want to hit up and start a conversation of wish lists and travel tips to benefit us all!



 Rio de Janeiro
The only thing I know about Rio is that it’s the city beneath the Statue of Christ and I’m not really one for cities – but my travel companion is relentless and Rio has not become a requirement for his participation. He really wants to see a futbol game, so that’s something we’re looking into. And it’d be nice to soak up a little sun at Copacabana… a place I have admittedly only heard about through the occasional rap song.


Machu Picchu
I don’t know what it is, but I’ve always been fascinated with Machu Picchu. When I graduated from high school, I really tried to convince my parents to fund a trip to Peru for my two sisters and me so that we could see the Incan ruins, but they weren’t too fond of the idea and it never gained traction. But now that I’ll be in South America, I will never forgive myself for leaving without venturing to that mountaintop. 


 Patagonia
I don’t know much about Patagonia except that it’s a beautiful slice of nature. A little research shared that the region boasts penguin encounters, hikes, kayaking, ice trekking, and even the occasional puma spotting! Apparently the best time to go is November-April... so not when we'll be there, unfortunately.


I know I won’t get to see everything on my wish list, but maybe between the fifteen of us, we can fulfill as much of our South America wish lists as possible. What's on your wish list for the Pantanal? To capture the perfect picture of a capybara? To spot a jaguar along the river banks? To ride a horse at sunrise? To add fifteen birds to your life list? I want to hear it all!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Christina! I'm glad you wrote this post! I've been thinking more & more about travel plans, but I am a bit worried about safety/ etc. in Brazil. I think if a group of us traveled together, that would be really awesome! Do you know what your general timeline is/ when you plan to return? We should chat. I would love to go to Rio/ Copacabana with you if at all possible...it's so iconic and would be a shame to miss out on if we go to Brazil!
    - Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup - my plans after the trip are still up in the air since I really want to do Sophomore College, but if that doesn't come through then I would much rather spend the time after the trip doing more travelling than coming straight back. If we were to go to Machu Picchu, then hiking the Inca Trail would be an amazing experience I think.

    ReplyDelete