Thursday, January 30, 2014

Nature Photography in the Pantanal - David Pattyn

So, I was just kind of exploring the internet and typing different words related to the Pantanal into various search engines when I came across nature photographer, David Pattyn's, website. As I started to scroll through his pictures I realized that he had an entire album dedicated to the "Brazilian Pantanal." His pictures are really beautiful and, in my own personal opinion, very well composed. I figured his website and pictures could serve our class in two ways. By looking at his pictures we can begin to get a sense of "what works" and what doesn't when photographing the wildlife of the Pantanal. Pattyn's photographs vary in light, compositional strategy, and depth of field, showcasing the array of options we will have when trying to capture the perfect moment while we are abroad. Secondly, Pattyn's Pantanal album is a great source of pictures for us to use in our animal presentations. Below I included some samples of his pictures from the Pantanal. Hopefully you will find his website as helpful as I did.

-Megan Good




2 comments:

  1. Those are really amazing! I wish I could take anything remotely as good... I thought this one was funny! http://www.dpwildlife.com/12376715/tamandua-anteater-in-a-defensive-posture-barranco-alto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calum, I really like that one too! I think my favorite one is the black and white photograph go the caiman. The combination of an up close, portrait style, shot with the face/nose centered in the middle of the frame really exudes power and strength in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete